MILF halts decommissioning of 14k fighters

I show You how To Make Huge Profits In A Short Time With Cryptos!

The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has suspended the decommissioning of its remaining 14,000 combatants, citing the Philippine government’s failure to meet key provisions of the 2014 peace agreement—specifically the Annex on Normalization.

The MILF Central Committee decided during a meeting on July 19 at Camp Darapanan in Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao del Norte.

The resolution was officially disclosed on Saturday, July 26.

According to the resolution signed by MILF chair Al Haj Murad Ebrahim and secretary Muhammad Ameen, decommissioning will only proceed once the government shows “substantial compliance” with the normalization commitments, especially the delivery of socio-economic support for the 26,145 combatants already decommissioned.

“It is hereby resolved that the decommissioning of the remaining 14,000 MILF combatants and 2,450 weapons shall commence only upon the substantial compliance of the GPH (Government of the Philippines) in the other tracks of normalization, including the provision of socio-economic package as agreed upon by the GPH and MILF Peace Implementing Panels to the 26,145 combatants,” part of the resolution said.

The Manila Standard sought comments from the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace, Unity and Reconciliation, led by Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr., but no response has been made as of press time.

MILF peace panel spokesperson Datuan Magon Jr. explained that the disarmament process must align with other normalization elements, particularly the socio-economic aspects.

“It would be difficult for us if the government had almost finished the decommissioning process, but other components for normalization were not yet moving. Section C, Item 9 of the Annex explicitly states that disarmament should happen in tandem with the fulfillment of other peace deal commitments.” Magon said.

Section C, Item 9 of the normalization annex states that the decommissioning of MILF forces shall be parallel and commensurate with the implementation of the agreements of the parties.

So far, 65% of MILF’s estimated 40,000 fighters—totaling 26,145 individuals—have been decommissioned.

However, the MILF Central Committee noted that these former fighters have yet to successfully transition into civilian life, as promised interventions have not been delivered, apart from a one-time P100,000 payment per person.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*